We’ve been watching quite a bit of Yo Gabba Gabba lately when the TV is on. Felix totally digs it, and Stella has been requesting it a lot. Nick Jr. doesn’t often put out new episodes but when they do, it’s always a total hoot to see who they get to do a guest-spot. Recently Jason Bateman appeared and just this past weekend there was a “Farm” episode featuring Sawyer from Lost. I still can’t get over the fact that they got Anthony Bourdain to show up.
But Sawyer made me think: Who would be on my ultimate YGG guest list?
1) Alan Rickman: To see Severus Snape (Harry Potter) or Hans (Die Hard – “I have a machine gun now. Ho! Ho! Ho!”) boogying with Brobee would make my day.
2) Padma Lakshmi and Tom Colicchio (Top Chef): Just think of what these cats to do to expand the “Party in Your Tummy” or “Try It, You’ll Like It!” Sweetbreads? Why not? And who doesn’t love foie gras? (Note: If Padma and Tom are busy, I’d totally take Gordon Ramsay. He’s already done that commercial with Team Umizoomi, so he might be down for a visit to Gabbaland.)
3) Tim Gunn: DJ Lance Rock’s orange jumpsuit IS getting a bit tired. Make it work!
4) Sig Hansen (Deadliest Catch): He could teach Toodee to fish since apparently there is both ice AND fish in Toodee-land. What would be funniest is watching him not smoke cigarettes.
5) Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos (The Killing): The Gabba Gang could solve some kind of mystery. Maybe someone stepped on and squashed some of Muno’s beloved bugs.
6) Darth Vader: This needs no elaboration.
7) Patrick Warburton (voice extraordinaire): I don’t care what he does. To hear the voice of Brock Sampson (Venture Brothers) or Puddy (Seinfeld) interacting with Foofa would be enough.
8) Robert Downey Jr: ‘Cuz he’s cool. And I still love the fact that he got his shit together and is now both talented and successful. And Stella loves him (or at least his giant cardboard head on a stick).
9) Martha Stewart: To see uptight Martha Stewart interacting with giant foam monsters would be legendary. She could also introduce a craft segment for Xmas or mother’s day.
10) Joey Ramone (Posthumously, of course): He could have performed his version of Wonderful World. The Gabba gang could have put on black wigs and sunglasses. Sigh. Oh Joey.
Postscript: By the way, Nickelodeon execs, if you’re out there: You totally missed the boat with the Bubble Guppies. The lack of new material and the lack of soul in the new material that you have bothered to release mean that your once biggest fan no longer cares about you. Furthermore, despite the fact that it took you millennia to release merchandise, your merchandise sucks. Have you actually seen the Fisher Price Bubble Guppies Rock & Roll Stage Play Set? The guppies look like melted candles. The Splash and Surprise Molly is no better. That’s terrifying.
The love affair is over, Nick. It’s not me, it’s you.