So it’s been a little damp in my part of the world. As in, it’s rained every damn day since Thursday (I think), with more on the forecast for today. I actually don’t mind rain in the summer. It keeps my poor old house and decrepit AC from burning up. But this has been relentless, just-enough-thunder-and-lightning-to-keep-from-kicking-the-kids-outside-to-play-and-now-we’re-all-sick-to-death-of-each-other, squash killing rain. Yes, my squash plants are no more. Some kind of moldy-mildew shit took them out. But damn, my tomato plants are taller than my sunflowers.
Between the rain, the sudden lack of anything fun on our calendar, and general misery at work, I’ve felt a bit off. Sorry about that. I’ve not been a good resident of the blogosphere.
We tried to keep it together this weekend. Felix has developed a sudden terrifying interest in cooking.
Will went to a thrift store, bought some old electronic crap (a breadmaker and alarm clock, I think), and had the kids take it apart on the kitchen floor. It was actually a wonderful idea until Felix tried to Precious every screw, nut, and gear he could get his greasy little hands on.
We finally took the kids to our local mall out of sheer desperation yesterday. I felt like such an asshole for that. Way back when, I worked in malls. I loathed people like me who just went to the mall to “hang out.” To be fair, we bought the kids carousel rides and ice cream.
Other random crap in no particular order:
- What the hell are “budgy smugglers?” Some of y’all are doing a “do you know me” kind of survey thing, and this is part of a question about underwear. I am so out of the loop.
- About a week and a half ago, a friend of mine from college called. I did a rare selfish thing, and went outside with a glass of wine and left my husband in charge of my children while I had an actual adult conversation. After about 30 minutes, I heard screaming coming from my house. When I went inside, it seems the kids had been chasing each other and Stella had slammed Felix’s toes in the door. There was blood. Now his toenail is pretty much falling off. It. Is. Disgusting.
- Stella is starting camp today. I’m terrified. Like, I could puke terrified.
- I finally got to see The Martian and Captain America: Winter Soldier. I’m also watching Top of the Lake on Netflix. Good, but depressing.
- I’m gearing up to do the Whole 30 thing. I’d like to start Monday. I’m excited about it yet kind of dreading it.
What’s going on out there?