Glob, y’all. I haven’t had even a moment to post in 2 weeks. This sucks. I’m being squeezed. I’m beyond busy and stressed. As a matter of fact, I demand new words for busy and stressed. The regular ones are insufficient.
I won’t talk about work. Work has gotten so stupid I can’t even keep up with all my stuff anymore. I’m not saying I always have my act together. I would say that 90% I can arrive, look and act reasonably professional, with most synapses firing. If you ask me what’s going on with a certain site, I can tell you. Not right now. Nope. When people call to talk to me, I probably sound lobotomized. What’s worse is that I’m about to use leave – a lot of leave. There’s a beach trip, school events, and tons of early dismissal days coming up in the next 2 weeks. I’m almost afraid to say things will calm down after that, but they might. Mightn’t they?
What’s going on outside of work? Let’s see:
- 2 different teacher appreciation weeks at 2 different schools, slightly staggered. They were staggered because of the impacts to Stella’s school schedule due to flooding. I can’t tell if the staggering made this worse or better. Worse, I think, because it’s making TA week run into my next bullet point (you’ll have to wait for it). But seriously. Can’t the folks at Hallmark or whoever came up with TA week please move this stuff????? It’s the end of the year. I’m done. And it’s right on top of Mother’s Day. And the end of school. I vote they move this week to the end of January. We’ll all be over the holidays and there really isn’t much going on at that point. I feel bad that I’m kind of phoning this in this year, but I’m phoning it in this year.
- End of the year party for Stella’s class. And I’m a room mom, which means I get to help plan and orchestrate. And you know what? I love this stuff. Just not at the same time as all this other stuff. But never you mind, because my household is providing the entertainment: our foam machine. Soon 69-70 first graders will leap through mountains of foamy bliss, only screaming a little due to burning eyes. It’s an occupational hazard.
- And Mother’s Day. I. Can’t. Even. I was feeling pretty good about one thing: this Friday, Felix’s school was having a lunch for the occasion, and Stella’s was having an afternoon tea. Hooray! I could be there for both. Now, Felix’s lunch is postponed for Monday due to inclement weather threats. Monday I’ll be in a meeting 2.5 hours away. I actually teared up a bit when I got that email. Felix has been asking for MyMom/Dude time lately. I’ve been spending extra time with Stella – largely due to Girl Scouts – and I haven’t been able to hang out with him as much. Oui Oui will be pinch-hitting for me, at least, but it’s not the same. Y’all know what I’m talking about.
- And speaking of Mother’s Day, we’re supposed to make our own hats to wear to Stella’s tea party. The school was very helpful, sending home cute instructions on how you could cut the inner circle out of a paper plate and stick flowers and stuff on it. Y’all know I can’t do that, right? So for the past 2 nights I’ve been concocting my hat out of zip ties, wire, tape, and papier mâché. I’ve had paste up to my wrists by the time I finally fall, exhausted, into bed. This absolutely demonstrates the level of my lunacy. Seriously. I need help.
- And for whatever reason, my house must contain about 400,000 fruit flies. I have no idea where the hell they’re coming from. I let ourselves run out of wine for a while (the horror!) and all fruit has been banished from the counter. Still they persist. I’ve put out traps. They haven’t worked. After about a week a few corpses started to appear, but I think those are pity corpses. I think the flies felt sorry for us and simply threw their naturally-deceased comrades in the traps to help my self esteem. Bastards.
All of this comes full-circle to being a mom. Whether you’re a Mom, Mother, Mama, Mommy, or MyMom, we juggle a hell of a lot. I know there are tons of you out there just as frazzled and crazed. Hang in there. We got this. And just in case I can’t post again before Sunday, I hope y’all have a wonderful Mother’s Day.